A$ap Yams, co-founder of A$AP Mob, died after consuming a combination of opiates and benzodiazepine, according to an official autopsy report obtained by the New York Times. His death was ruled an accident.
Many speculated that Yams died after consuming Lean and Xanax. Lean is an opiate and Xanax is a benzodiazepine.
Yams, born Steven Rodriguez, was found unresponsive in his Brooklyn apartment early in the morning of Jan. 18 and taken to Woodhull Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. He was 26.
Yams tweeted “BODEINE BRAZY” a day before his passing. This is his translation for “Codeine Crazy.”
Lean, often called “Sizzurp” or “Purple Drank” has its origins in the South after Houston producer DJ Screw popularized the beverage. It is a drink concoction made of Promethazine-Codeine cough syrup, Sprite and Jolly Rancher candy.
Lean, when induced, provides its user a sedated feeling. Long-term use can have deadly side effects.
DJ Screw was found dead Nov. 16, 2000 in his studio following an overdose from a combination of Lean and drugs. A toxicology report found codeine, Valium and PCP in his system.
Lil Boosie knows the dangers of Lean. The “Show The World” rapper spoke with TMZ regarding Actavis pulling their promethazine-codeine product from the market.
Boosie reportedly said he nearly died three or four times from the beverage.
It’s “f*cked up a lot of rappers and the culture of Hip Hop,” Boosie said, according to TMZ.
The Baton Rouge rapper once battled an addiction to Lean. Boosie’s addiction was so bad, he attempted to have codeine smuggled into prison despite the grave consequences.
The consequences proved severe as he was caught and sentenced to eight years in Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola.
In September 2013, Gucci Mane revealed he was battling an addiction to Lean following an infamous Twitter rant. Gucci later professed he would be entering rehab.
Gucci, whose birth name is Radric Davis, apologized to family and fans for his actions, saying he was “embarrassed.”
“Woke up the other day out this hospital bed & I’m so embarrassed & ashamed of my behavior that was brought to my attention. (Cont)
“I just wanna man up right now & take this time to apologize to my family, friends, the industry & most of all my fans. I’m SORRY! (Cont)
“I’ve been drinking lean for 10plus years & I must admit it has destroyed me. I wanna be the first rapper to admit (cont)
I’m addicted to lean & that shit ain’t no joke. I can barely remember all the things I’ve done & said. However there’s no excuse. (Cont)
I’m currently incarcerated but I will be going to rehab because I need help. I wanna thank everyone that has stood by me (cont)
during this difficult time. Please keep me in your prayers. #GUWOP
Lil Wayne suffered complications from long-term lean use of the beverage. He was rushed to the hospital in March after suffering multiple seizures.
Dr. George Fallieras, an emergency room physician and hospitalist at Good Samaritan Hospital, said codeine is an “opiate” and is in the “same family of drugs as heroin and morphine,” according to the Los Angeles Times.
Fallieras commented codeine addiction is the same as heroin addiction, only without the needles. This is due to the large amounts of codeine Lean drinkers induce.
He further said it is difficult to overcome Lean addiction and likened codeine withdrawal to the worst flu possible.
“One patient said to me, ‘Imagine the worst flu when you’re shivering, you’re vomiting, you can’t eat, you have diarrhea, every atom in your body hurts, you can’t sleep, you lie on the floor just shivering … and multiply that times a million,’” Fallieras told the Times. “And you know if you can just take the pill or inject yourself with heroin, that it just all goes away.”