Those who are sexually active, but not sexually satisfied often find themselves in a bind. They are not getting complete satisfaction from something they love doing.
Harvard Health Publications lays out some rules one must follow in order to improve their sex life. Unsurprisingly, these rules come down to just taking care of one’s self. The tips are as follows:
• Exercise. Being physically active is the number one tip to improving one’s sexual health. HHP says a good blood flow is needed for sexual arousal. Aerobic exercise is hugely beneficial as it strengthens your heart and blood vessels. Exercise is very important in preventing various diseases and health conditions.
• Don’t smoke. Smoking causes peripheral vascular disease, which restricts blood flow to the penis, clitoris and vaginal tissues. HHP says women who smoke tend to go through menopause two years earlier than their nonsmoking counterparts.
• Use alcohol in moderation. For men, heavy drinking can lead to erectile dysfunction as it affects the central nervous system. Heavy drinking also leads to an increase of estrogen in men. In women, alcohol can trigger hot flashes and disrupt sleep.
• Eat right. Bad food can lead to high cholesterol and obesity — both major risk factors for cardiovascular disease. In addition, being overweight can promote lethargy and a poor body image. Increased libido is often an added benefit of losing those extra pounds.
• Use it or lose it. When estrogen drops at menopause, the vaginal walls lose some of their elasticity. You can slow this process or even reverse it through sexual activity. If intercourse isn’t an option, masturbation is also effective, although for women, this is most effective if you use a vibrator or dildo (an object resembling a penis) to help stretch the vagina. For men, long periods without an erection can deprive the penis of a portion of the oxygen-rich blood it needs to maintain good sexual functioning. As a result, something akin to scar tissue develops in muscle cells, which interferes with the ability of the penis to expand when blood flow is increased.
Remember, it’s very difficult to have sex when you’re hooked up to a machine, so it’s important to remain healthy. It also doesn’t hurt to have sex with someone who looks sexually appealing. Do you guys have any sex tips you want to share? Sound off below.